Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Wal-Mart's caring makes me reflexively suspicious!

"The environment is begging for the Wal-Mart business model."
--H. Lee Scott, Jr., CEO of Wal-Mart

The New York Times reports that Wal-Mart, of all companies, is trying to get people to buy flourescent bulbs instead of incandescent (the typical yellow bulb). The article is very sympathetic to top brass and explains how they bought into how flourescent bulbs can help the environment by greatly reducing carbon emissions. It explains how they valiantly donated their prime shelf space to pushing these bulbs despite their relative unpopularity.

Now, I am excited by this I must say, and I actually plan to go out and get some floruescent bulbs ASAP--I hadn't realized how much energy they save.

But I can't help but be skeptical about the motives of a company that treats employees as Wal-Mart does. Is their plan to overpower the emotions of wannabe environmentalists like myself so that we forget about their labor issues? Hey, they are even offering cheap prescription drugs! ... All this is really cheaper than allowing their workers to unionize and giving them breaks?

No comments: